Friday, February 6, 2009

What Does it Mean to Be True to Yourself?


Being true to yourself can mean many different things. It can be staying true to your beliefs such as religion. If you stand up for what you believe in and don't act fake to make yourself seem cool or to be come popular this is being true to yourself. I know that aw a point in my life I had the chance to change and become "cool" but I stood by my beliefs and stayed to to myself and I haven't regreted it since. People who are fake or act like something they're not at not true to themselves and alot of the time will hide the fact they are miserable about it.

In the story the Catcher and The Rye the main character Holden talks about being true to yourself. He talks about people in his old and current school who are "phonies" which means they act nice and like they have good intentions when they are mean and don't really care. The best example he gives is his old headmaster. He talks about how he use to shake the hands and greet all of the parents of the students at his school. However if they looked "ugly" or "poor" he would olny shake hands with them and move on. This to me is someone who is fake.

No comments:

Post a Comment